A 1-day workshop
Building Shovel-Ready Capability:
How to measure the broader outcomes and financial ROI of your environmental training – so you can win more budget and lift the business bottom line
Do you know how to measure the ROI (financial return on investment) on your environment and sustainability or health and safety training?
If you don’t, how can you clearly demonstrate the value of that work to your bosses?
The pressure is on for Shovel-Ready and other government projects: broader outcomes and construction skills and training are in the limelight of the Government’s sustainable Procurement Rules. Bidders for government work will be asked to describe their skills development and training practices and to consider broader outcomes; the secondary environmental, social, economic or cultural benefits that are generated from their project.
How will you cope?
You know your existing and new staff need training.
You know the training improves your environmental performance, the efficiency of your operations and project outcomes.
You’ve even pulled together some numbers.
But you struggle to measure the effectiveness of your training well enough to make a credible business case for it.
You know that you need to use a credible and accepted method to quantify the benefits of your training.
But you don’t know where to find it.
Is this you?
- Your managers and clients are asking about the actual benefits they’re getting from your training.
- You’re finding it difficult to measure how your training contributes to your company’s real business outcomes.
- You can’t find examples that justify the cost of government bodies like yours setting up industry training programs to tackle real environmental issues.
Managers struggle with these problems, whether they’re in business, government or the not-for-profit sector.
The technical nature of our work means we are really good at measuring complex stuff – environmental indicators, emissions data, environmental compliance monitoring and much, much more.
But we’re stumped when it comes to evaluating the effectiveness of our environmental training.
That’s because we’re looking for training tools in the environment and sustainability box. And they’re not there.
Sadly, many people delivering environment and sustainability training just don’t know that there’s a WHOLE OTHER PROFESSION out there that has ANOTHER TOOLBOX full of all the tools we need to solve these exact same problems.
Are you ready to look in the toolbox of a respected global profession; that of professional trainers and learning and development professionals?
A toolbox that contains tried and true tools that have been used and improved all round the world for decades to evaluate the effectiveness of adult vocational training?
Tools that you too can use to measure the difference you make?
My workshop on the ROI of environment and sustainability training is a 1-day hands-on workshop where you can work on real case studies and also on examples from your own workplace in order to calculate the costs and returns on your environment and sustainability training in financial terms –
the RETURN ON INVESTMENT.
This is the method you’ve been looking for.
And it’s been used by professional trainers all around the world for over 20 years.
Real benefits to companies
Enlightening workshop with potential real benefits to companies and staff development. I will recommend to our Group General Manager (and Directors) that a study of ROI be carried out. – Bob Hirst, National Development Manager, Southeys Group Ltd
Better still, the methods work for health, safety and quality professionals as well as environment and sustainability staff, especially those working in any high-compliance sector.
As well as adding up what costs your training can avoid, assessing the financial ROI on training can reveal some amazing positive benefits. For example:
- one civil construction company estimated the cost of one large spill at $152,000 – and that’s with no enforcement action involved because their response was so good;
- at my most recent workshop, one attendee worked out that rejection of health and safety advice cost an organization over $400,000 in direct and indirect costs!; and
- another firm with 1,000 staff saved $4 million in one year from better induction training that reduced staff turnover, with an investment of only $30,000. That’s a payback period of less than 3 days!
In my ROI workshop you can work with real case studies like these – and with your own incident, near-miss and scenario planning data as well.
Works for health, safety and quality training too
“This workshop would be massively effective for health, safety and quality training, as well as environmental training!” Unanimous verdict of attendees at my most recent ROI workshop
So how do we actually measure the ROI of our training?
Well, remember that WHOLE OTHER PROFESSION out there? 99% of environmental experts delivering training are what “real” trainers – that whole other profession of trainers and HR learning & development personnel – call “subject matter” experts. What they mean by that is that we have deep expertise in our environment and sustainability professional disciplines – but not in training.
That’s a real problem when we want to prove the cost-effectiveness of our environment and sustainability training.
Why? Because training professionals are as astonishingly proficient at their job as we are at ours – and they have a range of fabulous tools in their training toolbox that we need to get our hands on.
They know how to measure the effectiveness of their training, and they recognize FIVE levels of evaluation – of which financial ROI is the fifth.
If you want to measure level 5, you’ll need to measure levels 1-4 first. The ROI is just a set of simple calculations: it’s in levels 1-4 that you collate the information you need to do the sums. And in the ROI workshop, we’ll look at those too.
Ask yourself these questions to see if the 1-day ROI workshop is for you:
- Are you up for the challenge of measuring the effectiveness of your training in monetary terms (financial ROI) as well as in qualitative ways, the way the best professional trainers do?
- Are you ready to totally sell your senior managers not only on the cost savings but also on the positive payback of your training?
- Are you willing to fully align your training programs with your organization’s vision, mission, policies, objectives, key result areas, financial targets and related KPIs?
- Are you ready to measure the financial benefits of things that we know good training yields but which seem intangible and impossible to measure – like higher staff engagement, productivity and profitability?
Are you up for the challenge of demonstrating accountability against your training budget allocation?
Are you ready to measure the real value that your training adds to your organization’s and your customers’ broader outcomes across the economic, environmental, cultural and social wellbeings?
If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, then come and join me and your professional peers at my ROI workshop. If it sounds very conceptual and academic, don’t worry. We’ll be drilling down into what goes wrong – and right – on your work sites every day.
Who stands to benefit from this workshop?
The benefits of environmental training are far-reaching. People who will be interested in its ROI include:
- environment and sustainability managers who want to be confident they are measuring the full environmental and financial outcomes of their training;
- health, safety and quality managers who want to do the same;
- HR Learning and Development who want to capture the full range of social and cultural (indigenous) outcomes of environmental training;
- staff managing risk reporting processes and data bases on environmental incidents and near misses;
- accounting personnel who can help monetize the indicators of interest to different parts of the business; and
- people from the senior management team wanting to get a birds-eye view of the sustainability of the business.
Real costs of incidents
My immediate action after the workshop will be to make the real costs of incidents and accidents more visible.
Rae Camons, Procurement Manager, Dempsey Wood Civil Ltd.
This workshop works well for:
- in-house teams working on the long term business strategy; and
- people attending a public workshop where they can all learn from shared experiences
- senior management teams in business and government wanting to ensure their training is lined up to deliver on national and international goals for people and the environment as well as the economy.
Thought provoking, entertaining and practical. – Mike Hannah, Managing Director, Stormwater 360
Here’s just some of what we’ll get into during the ROI workshop…
We’ll dig round in the professional trainers’ toolbox and practise using their proven tools that are accepted all around the world. Then you will:
- use my unique checklists so you can learn how to identify the TRUE costs to your company of even small environmental incidents;
- analyze real case studies of environment and sustainability training and the reputational and financial harm of poor performance;
- learn FOUR FORMULAE that you can use to calculate the REAL Return On Investment of your environment and sustainability training;
- draw upon data from your own workplace (if you have it available);
- learn why it’s so important to collect this data if you don’t have any readily to hand;
- work out when and how often to do full financial ROI assessments of the effectiveness of your training; and
- compare the cost to the business of getting it wrong with the amazing business benefits of getting it right.
By the end of the day, you will feel genuinely confident that you start using your new skills and tools to:
- assess your environment and sustainability training needs;
- evaluate the effectiveness of your training; and
- pick just the right indicators to calculate the dollar ROI on your training.
Vivacious and dynamic
“Clare is a vivacious and dynamic presenter who immediately engages you from the start. – Simonne Liley, Consultant, UpTraining
Ongoing value from the ROI workshop
You’ll become fluent in the language of ROI:
ROI = investment : return
where both investment and return can be calculated by globally-accepted methods
on the basis of indicators set out in your choice of robust and globally-accepted monitoring frameworks.
After attending, you will have a shared understanding of and commitment to the:
- strategic value of measuring ROI on environmental, health, safety and quality training to the business;
- outcomes that your training needs to deliver to the business;
- wider outcomes across the four wellbeings, seven capitals and UN Sustainable Development Goals;
- methods and key indicators to measure these;
- sampling regime that makes it cost-effective to measure ROI; and
- people and systems responsible for data capture, interpretation and reporting.
Get the message across
Great workshop which flowed well and with information and examples to get the message across to attendees and to present to others. Sustainable Supply Chain Manager
Among the long term, recurring and compounding returns on investment in environmental training is the ability to apply the same tools to related areas, including quality, health and safety.
Wider application of these tools is also possible, using globally-accepted indicator sets, to training on leadership, management, communication, conflict resolution and language/literacy/numeracy skills.
These are the skills that will grow the firm’s learning culture and self-awareness –
a leading source of competitive advantage.
In addition to the face-to-face workshop time with me and your peers, registering for the ROI workshop also means you become eligible to receive a package of free add-ons.
Add One: Pre-workshop activity
Before the workshop you will need to dig out several pieces of information about your organization that you may not have considered relevant to environmental training. Throughout the day you will have opportunities to see how environment and sustainability relate to everything in the business, and how, if you count the ways, you will be able to document a much bigger range and number of positive returns than you ever dreamed! (And yes there are globally-accepted ways of doing this.)
Add Two: Reading list
During the workshop you’ll work with real life case studies and learn how to keep track of new ones as they emerge in the media and the literature. There is nothing like a good (or bad!) story to make your point for you, so here you’ll learn the value of keeping an up-to-date portfolio of case studies.
Add Three: Post-workshop activity
After the workshop you’ll receive a follow-up supporting activity to help as you work out how to thread ROI thinking throughout your routine work tasks. Any time you’re trying to precisely define a desired change in practice, start with describing what’s missing from current practice – then monetize the cost of recurring errors. Every time you have an incident or a near miss, count the cost. Why? Because the higher the costs, the higher the financial return your training will deliver.
Add Four: Online interactive webinar/meeting
We all know what it’s like to take a day away from our usual work: even if we’ve cleared some messages and emails during the workshop, we spend most of the next day catching up. But measuring the financial ROI of your environmental training is important to your organization, so you do need to follow up on your tasks and ideas. So three or four weeks after the workshop I’ll host a 1-hour webinar where you can revisit the workshop content and your ‘to do’ list, hear from others how they’ve been going and ask questions.
Four add-ons that nearly double this workshop’s wrap-around value for you.
Enthusiastic and effective trainer
“Really enjoyed the enthusiasm. Clare brings a unique style to her training – very effective.” – Environmental manager at a major transport facility.
Value is delivered by this workshop in two main ways; operational and strategic, over the short term, medium term and long term .
In the short term, you will experience the benefits of the cost savings in time, money and frustration from:
- improved data collection as people increasingly appreciate the value of reporting on environmental incidents and near-misses
- progressive reductions in reports (after an initial increase after the training) as people learn from the debriefings offered by a good risk management and reporting system.
In the medium term, you will experience the benefits of the cost savings from:
- operational efficiencies that accrue from ongoing reductions in environmental incidents and near misses
- strategic benefits of better communication and alignment across many different parts of the organization
- improved non-price tender attributes directly focused on broader outcomes in the Government’s new procurement rules.
In the long term, you will experience the benefits of ongoing avoided costs and also of increased revenues from:
- the long term, recurring and compounding returns on investment in this training is the ability to apply the same tools to related areas, including quality, health and safety
- wider application of these tools, using globally-accepted indicator sets, to training on leadership, management, communication, conflict resolution and language/literacy/numeracy skills
- a lower risk profile
- reputational enhancement
- higher book value of the company
- development of a genuine learning culture across the organization, which enhances the recruitment, retention, engagement and productivity of staff.
Really engaging day
A really professional and engaging day on a topic which has the potential to be dry but was anything but! Environmental consultant and trainer
Score CPD points or hours!
By attending this workshop you may be able to obtain Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points or hours from your professional association. Send them the link to this page and ask them to contact me.
The 1-day workshop is 7.5 hours of training activity, excluding time for tea breaks and lunch. Some professional associations equate 1 CPD point for 1 hour of training activity. Your own professional association can tell you how many CPD points or hours this workshop will earn you.
Click here to ask me about how I can tailor the delivery of this Training Hologram workshop to meet your needs:
- in-house workshops
- short workshops
- 1:1 or small group mentoring.
And you can also ask me about
- scheduled dates for my next Success workshop
- group discounts
- workshops in places other than Auckland and New Zealand.
Are you ready to take your organization’s ROI capability to the next level of alignment with the business? Then join me for this workshop.
The investment to join this very well-received workshop is just
$497.00 per person pre-GST.
The last workshop was on 11 November 2020.
Click here to enquire about the next one!
Details will be posted ahead of the next workshop.
Seats are limited to 20 people only, to ensure you all gain maximum hands-on value!
- Want a letter to give your manager that helps you justify your registration fee?
Need an invoice with an order number in order to pay?
Just email me and I’ll send you what you need.
In the event that alert levels mean this face-to-face workshop cannot proceed, we will seamlessly transition the workshop to an online platform in the same highly interactive 1-day format.
Cancellations and alterations
In these uncertain times, we offer the following support:
- should you be unable to attend once you’ve registered, you are welcome to reassign your registration to another eligible person;
- if you can’t arrange a replacement, we will refund the registration fee, less an administration charge of $150 excl GST, providing you notify us in writing (emails included) by close of business on Tuesday 3 October. We will acknowledge this by return written advice; and
- from Wednesday 4 October, no refund will be made, but we will hold the registration for another ROI or other suitable substitute workshop.
Want to stop wasting time and money?
It’s time you saw the ROI on your environmental training as a core element of your corporate finances, on both the credit and the debit sides of the ledger.
It’s all about …
– Learning for Life on Earth –
Click here to ask me about how I can tailor the delivery of this ROI workshop to meet your needs:
- in-house workshops
- short workshops
- 1:1 or small group mentoring.
And you can also ask me about:
- group discounts
- workshops on line or in places other than Auckland and New Zealand.