A 1-day workshop
Holistic thinking for a Holistic training Overview
– in Auckland and elsewhere or online –
Are you a holistic thinker?
Do you just “get” the big picture and can’t see why others don’t?
Are you frustrated at reactive and piecemeal training that’s just tinkering around the edge of a bigger problem?
Has training ignited your passion for enhancing the environmental capability of your sector?
Would you like to discover a method that will help you make a bigger difference as an environmental trainer?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, then you will love this workshop.
In this Hologram Workshop I show people how they can become a Planetary Trainer, like me. You will be building on the in-depth training of my other five strategic training workshops, grasping the themes and methods in my book How to Change the World: a practical guide to successful environmental training, and sharing my commitment to Learning for Life on Earth.
This interactive workshop will see you building a hologram –
a 1-page diagram of your sector’s multi-disciplinary training needs.
This overview will help everyone work out what training is needed. It’s a breakthrough concept.
Any sector needing environmental training should make the most of Clare’s strategic approach
“When our survey of industry training needs produced a lengthy list of highly specialized topics, we knew some kind of organising approach was needed, and engaged Clare to help us. By mapping all the topics onto one page, she gave us a holistic overview of the many different disciplines across the stormwater and many related professions. Clare worked closely with us to deliver a detailed action report and ways to prioritise training and funding options. Her work will help us navigate the many topics on which our own experts will develop, deliver and evaluate training. It gives us clarity and direction for both individual training needs and sector development needs. I would recommend that any sector needing environmental training make the most of Clare’s strategic approach.” John Pfahlert, CEO of Water New Zealand.
You will build on your deep expertise in your chosen field and your broad general knowledge of other fields plus your love of training to develop your Planetary Training skills.
If you want to work with environmental specialist to build a hologram – a strategic overview of their sector’s environment and sustainability training needs – then this is the workshop for you.
Who stands to benefit from this Hologram workshop?
This workshop is for any organization that wants to:
- make sense of a welter of disorganized training offers
- enable their diverse members to see at a glance how to plan their own professional development
- help different professions see beyond their specialist silos
- prioritize the development and delivery of the training its professionals want
- enhance the capability of the whole sector
- foster the skills of high performers in the sector who can move into governance and leadership roles that disseminate environment and sustainability thinking throughout society.
It is ideal for people who:
- have experience with both environmental management and environmental training
- have good facilitation and engagement skills
- are well-networked into a significant sector or a range of different sectors
Different perspectives and experiences
It was great to work with everyone and have such an encouraging discussion. I loved learning from the different perspectives and experiences we all have. Thanks so much for a great training session and for being so open and collaborative …. I hope this is just the beginning! Jane James, KiwiRail
The World Economic Forum has identified climate change and biodiversity loss as the most significant risks the world faces today. This means we need to turn every job into a green job – and fast. We can do this in record time by developing strategies that transform every product and every process across every sector and every industry in every sector.
Good environmental performance drives innovation, growing workplace skills and productivity. It also restores the ecosystems that support the economy while creating “green” jobs. I call green jobs “smart” jobs, because creating jobs that grow profits while improving the environment is the smart thing to do.
The International Labour Organisation (ILO) says that green jobs transform ‘economies, enterprises, workplaces and labour markets into a sustainable, low-carbon economy providing decent work’ (1). It defines green jobs as (2) decent jobs that:
- reduce consumption of energy and raw materials;
- limit greenhouse gas emissions;
- minimize waste and pollution;
- protect and restore ecosystems; and
- contribute to adapting to climate change.
It’s clear that these smart skills are needed by people working in ANY sector. So EVERY job is a smart job.
And the people in the specialised smart jobs in every sector will need TRAINING.
And along with that, they need a holistic and strategic approach to that training. That’s what this workshop is for.
Here’s just some of what we’ll do during the Hologram workshop…
You will have time to work on your own and in groups to:
- design a survey of professionals in your sector to identify their training needs and aspirations
- identify an organizing principle to help you make sense of the activities of your chosen sector as a whole
- build a hologram – a strategic training framework – in a one-page diagram or serious of related diagrams – diagrams that will reveal to your clients the different components of their entire sector in a way they’ve never dreamed of
- build and populate a table of all the training topics under each subject heading in your diagram
- list the costs to your sector, your communities and the environment of not delivering your training
- work with a matrix that will help you prioritise your training topics to make sure you start with the most important, urgent and/or fundamental topics first
- learn how to use a table that will help you and your sector peers to collate information about training that is available and people who can help you develop training not already available.
By the end of the day you will have an appreciation of how a holistic concept or an organizing principle can help you categorize a wide range of environmental training topics into manageable categories that help people easily access the training they want.
After attending, you will be:
- even more inspired by the potential for environmental training to make a difference for people and places
- more confident about how you can make a wider and more lasting impact in your sector or industry
- present a business case for your environmental training to your managers
- able to lead the process of designing a hologram – a strategic training framework – for your sector or industry
- open to working with internal and external stakeholders and wider networks to enhance its effectiveness
- able to prepare an action plan, funding options and communications strategy to leverage implementation of your hologram strategy
Many many thanks again for the great workshop! It was a wonderful and inspiring group indeed, humorous and delightful. And I did learn heaps. A big compliment to you as a presenter – you were really wonderful. Susie Wood, Sustainability@Work
In addition to the face-to-face workshop time with me and your peers, registering for the Hologram workshop also means you become eligible to receive a package of free add-ons.
Add One: Pre-workshop activity
Before the workshop I’ll ask you to search for images of environmental management or sustainability concepts that interest you – collect as many as you like and be prepared to say what it is about the ones that most attract you. It’s fine to bring just one or two images – or even 10 or 20! Can’t find any? Feel free to doodle some of your own and bring them along.
Add Two: Testing your Hologram
As you complete your Hologram and its supporting materials, you may want to test and share ideas with others doing the same. So at the end of the workshop you’ll have time to come up with ideas for people and organizations to approach. It doesn’t matter if they are tackling the same environmental issue as you are or a different one, because they will still be able to bounce ideas around with you. This is a form of peer mentoring, where experts in various fields who have identified workplace-based training as a solution to different environmental issues can learn from each other’s experience and identify what to do next.
Add Three: Post-workshop activity
After the workshop you’ll receive a follow-up activity to help you flesh out the detail embedded in your hologram and follow up on any other tasks you started during the workshop.
Add Four: Online interactive webinar/meeting
To help you follow up on your tasks and ideas, three or four weeks after the workshop I’ll host a 1-hour webinar where you can continue building your own Hologram and its supporting content, revisit the workshop content and your ‘to do’ list, hear from others how they’ve been going and ask questions.
Four add-ons that nearly double this workshop’s wrap-around value for you.
This is such an important and valuable offer/opportunity for businesses today. It is a critical budge in achieving meaningful awareness and thus change in our organisations, and thus society. Clare has a wonderful way of engaging her clients and bringing them on this journey. Thanks Clare! And thank you for the impressive follow up. Fonda Smyth, Management Consultant
What’s more, you could score CPD points or hours!
By attending this workshop you may be able to obtain Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points or hours from your professional association. Send them the link to this page and ask them to contact me.
The 1-day workshop is 7.5 hours of training activity, excluding time for tea breaks and lunch. Some professional associations equate 1 CPD point for 1 hour of training activity. Your own professional association can tell you how many CPD points or hours this workshop will earn you.
Click here to ask me about how I can tailor the delivery of this Training Hologram workshop to meet your needs:
- in-house workshops
- short workshops
- 1:1 or small group mentoring.
And you can also ask me about:
- scheduled dates for my next Hologram Workshop
- group discounts
- workshops in places other than Auckland and New Zealand.
Are you ready to take your environmental training program to the next level? Then join me for this workshop.
The investment to join this very well-received workshop is just
$497.00 per person pre-GST.
It’s time to map your environmental training needs as holistically as you can to make sure you are addressing all the essential aspects of the big picture.
It’s time to step up to …
– Learning for Life on Earth –
1. See www.ilo.org/global/topics/green-jobs/lang–en/index.htm [accessed 5 June 2019].
2. Green Jobs Assessment Institutions Network (GAIN) (2017) How to measure and model social and employment outcomes of climate and sustainable development policies: training guidebook. International Labour Organization. Available at www.ilo.org/global/topics/green-jobs/areas-of-work/gain/training-guidebook/lang–en/index.htm] [accessed 12 April 2019].